Royal Queensland Golf Club
Brisbane, QLD | User Rating: (3.5) | Add A Review
The (Royal) Queensland Golf Club was established in 1920 at Hamilton on mangrove swamp land with sand dredged from the Brisbane River, and was only the second golf course to be established in the city of Brisbane. The Club was granted its Royal Charter in 1921 by King George V, with the King’s official letter of notification to the Governor of Queensland signed by the very famous Winston S Churchill, then Secretary of State for the British Government, and later Prime Minister during World War II.
A distinctive feature of Royal Queensland is the striking profile of the Gateway Bridge which soars high over the course and the adjacent Brisbane River. In 2005, twenty years after its construction, the Queensland Government decided to erect a second identical structure to cope with increased traffic flow on the Gateway Arterial, with a completion date of 2011. The scope of this huge project meant that the Club would lose seven holes, and it therefore had no alternative but to undertake a reconfiguration of the historic layout.
Accordingly, new designs were considered from a number of high profile Australian and overseas golf course architects before a unanimous Board decision to accept Victorian Michael Clayton’s outstanding concept. Interestingly, Michael was himself the winner of the Australian Amateur Championship when it was held at Royal Queensland in 1978.